Greenway Engineering was named after Greenway Court, a National Historic Landmark. Greenway Court was inherited by Thomas Fairfax, the 6th Lord Fairfax and Baron of Cameron (1693-1781), after originally being chartered to the family by King Charles II.
The estate covered over 5.2 million acres and encompassed all of old Frederick County, VA and old Hampshire County, WV. Lord Fairfax was so enamored with the area, he moved from England, took up residence here, and set out to run the land himself. He realized that the area must be surveyed and parceled out to settlers. At Greenway Court, his small hunting lodge, Lord Fairfax set up a land office to record surveys and grants that were part of the land issuing business. In 1748, Lord Fairfax met George Washington and, impressed with his energy, talents, and education, hired Washington to survey his lands lying west of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Today, we can stand along the banks of the rivers Washington traversed, and we can hunt the same fields he hunted. We can look down from the mountains he crossed, and there we can see the outlines of his surveys. Some of our present fence lines marking fields were the lines he laid down over two hundred and fifty years ago.
Greenway Engineering continues to honor this historic legacy through excellent service to all clients in the region.